Sunday, September 28, 2008

Baltimore Comic Con

My wife and I just got back from Baltimore Comic Con, our third such convention this year. The con was reminiscent of North Carolina's Heroes Con in that our neighbors in artist alley were great people and wonderful to talk to. Thanks for the great company Josh, Melo, Juan, Paige & Phil. These artists have amazing talent and I wish them all the best and hope to see them again.

I was particularly struck by Josh Johnson's work. He has a website which I encourage everyone to check out. He paints all his work in water colors which to me is so amazing compared to the ever growing breed of artists who do digital colors only. Josh also writes making him an incredible storyteller. His "Spindletons" book was probably the most magical experience for me since seeing the Snowman cartoon to the song "Walking in the Air". After the first page I knew I had to read the whole thing and I did so as soon as I got home this evening. The Spindletons is an enchanting book that desperately needs to get picked up by the major retailers. Check him out at www.spindletons.com.

Overall, Baltimore Comic Con was another good forray into the creator side of comics which my wife is working hard towards becoming a part of. While there, I also promoted my friend James Eatock's magazine "Cereal Geek" for which both Leanne and I have contributed work. If you love 1980s animation then check it out at www.cerealgeek.com.

No comments: